While soliciting donations toward the 1000th pie in the face expedition, I was asked whether I had documentation for each of the pied faces I’ve been claiming.
Yes and No.
When I pied the first face on April Fool’s of 2007 I never imagined I would be celebrating the 1000th now.
It took a year for things to get rolling. On April Fool’s of 2008 I set out to see just how many I could do in a day by bartering and bundling with other visits. [It was eight.]
My birthday is also in April, so I made pies available to guests at the party. Eleven more faces.
I brought a pie to a family member’s 60th birthday and thought ahead to bring extra whipped topping. Sure enough, FIVE more people agreed to accept pies.
I (almost) always have people sign a waiver, and I (almost) always take a photo.
Problems with the Waivers
- I haven’t kept all the waivers!
- I don’t usually date the waivers.
- I continue to use waiver sheets when there are blank lines left.
- Sometimes people get in line without signing up.
- Sometimes people sign and never show up for their pie.
- I can’t always read the names because of the GIANT PENCIL and because sometimes the children’s handwriting is illegible anyway.
Problems with the Photos
I have sometimes had technical difficulties with my camera during a pie-ing.
- Sometimes I haven’t brought it.
- Sometimes the batteries run out.
- Sometimes I accidentally leave the SD card in the computer.
- Sometimes the hosts or guests at a party have their own cameras, and I think I don’t need to prove anything. I think I don’t need to spend my time processing & uploading all those before/ during/ and after shots.
- Sometimes I forget to take the picture.
- Sometimes an assistant is taking pictures, and they miss the shot.
It was the Fremont Solstice Parade of 2008 where the count got a little blurry. I estimated that I had done 15 pies in 90 minutes for a new personal best. It brought the total to ABOUT ~45. I estimated based on the number of dirty pie pans and empty canisters of whipped topping I had at the end of the parade route.
Let me tell you what qualifies and what does not qualify as a pied face for this count.
- any sized pie that I personally hand deliver to a face
- any sized pie that I provide to an assistant which is hand delivered to a face (including mine)
- any sized pie that I provide to a willing face, who then hand delivers it to their own face
- each new pie-ing occasion of a face. (i.e. I pied Bill Fleming on different days, each had a separate count)
- any delivery of whipped topping directly to the mouth as long as some spills beyond the lips
- a face that receives whipped topping by accepting or initiating a kiss with a pied face
What Doesn’t Count
- multiple pie-ings of the same face at the same event (i.e. The kid who says ‘Again, again, again!’ is counted only once)
- pie-ing myself once a day just to boost the numbers
- having an assistant pie me on a regular basis to boost the numbers
- pie-ing animals
- pie-ing inanimate faces (statues, paintings, dolls, action figures)
I update the count on Twitter as soon as possible after each delivery. It feeds to Facebook. I then switch the count on Jusbytheclown.com.